Wife's NAD - Ace Tone GH1 & GH1200 S

Make it loud here.
rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Wife's NAD - Ace Tone GH1 & GH1200 S

Post by rhythmjones » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:40 pm

If you've been following the Bad Things thread in the Misc Discussions board, we had a house fire in December. We lost a lot of musical equipment. My wife, who's the singer and keyboardist in my band, lost her entire keyboard rig, including the Fender Vaporizer she used as an organ amp.

We're not sure if her organ (vintage Ace Tone Top-1) is going to make it so I was scouring eBay for possible replacements, when I found this Ace Tone amp. I showed it to my wife and she said she had to have it. So we bid on it and it arrived today.

It's an amazing thing. I've never seen a guitar amp quite like it. It's solid state. The "head" is the preamp unit with bass, mid and treble controls, real spring reverb, and tremolo. Plus it has a multi-band eq unit. The power amp is inside the speaker cab and has a 3-way attenuator (one doesn't work). When you turn on the head units. the control indicators are backlit and you can read them (when it's off you can't see them). It reminds me of a 70's home stereo receiver.

All the cabinetry is real wood and all the corners have a chrome border. Built like a tank. It's over 45 years old and except for a few rust spots and one small crack, looks like it just came off the factory floor.

It's loud as hell and shrill if you aren't careful. But there's plenty of tone control, and if you cut the treble properly it's not too bad. It's okay on guitar, kinda sounds like a Roland amp (obviously), which is a very good thing. I can't wait to get an organ to play it through.
- Mitch

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Wife's NAD - Ace Tone GH1 & GH1200 S

Post by cestlamort » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:10 pm

I hadn't seen the bad things post (sorry! Traumatic to say the least).

That set up looks phenomenal.

I used to have an ace tone can and it was pretty great. They later turned into Roland, right?

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:14 pm

cestlamort wrote:They later turned into Roland, right?
Yes.

My wife is Ace Tone's newest biggest fanboy.
- Mitch

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:34 pm

Ace Tone amps are fantastic. That one is particularly cool.

Mine's a "Rockey", kind of an AC-15 clone with a real deep spring verb and a nice tremolo, all tube. But not nearly as cool as that one.
This is an excellent rectangle