Eico model 460

Make it loud here.
Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Eico model 460

Post by Racing » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:05 pm

A little different this time out but figured some of you might get a kick out of it too...as did i.

So in the door the other day this guy walks in and leaves me this. It is an old Eico oscilloscope which of course is...tube driven. :D TBH it´s rather crude,and what´s more it was dead as a doornail thanx to a completely dried up multisection e-lyte. Popped fuses like it was going out of style of course.
Really nice nick tho why i figured...why not :jacked:

Of course it sports a CRT (cathode ray tube) and here you younger folk see why it is called a TV tube. As in tuuuuuuuuube... :D
Anyways. Full of the stuff and as stated rather crude. But to me therein also lies the charm of it. As i mainly work on tubeamps i really don´t "need" a scope more competent than this TBH. The one i MAINLY use is a hand held unit,which is as contemporary as it gets...being compatible with my computer and what not.
This though is a whole different ballgame. The entire manual for it could be downloaded online so...

As i´ve figured these could either be bought ready made or in kit form. This seems to be a factory built unit from back in the -50´s (from what i´ve gathered) and thus sported a PT for "our" wall voltages right off the bat.

One might believe an oscilloscope holds stuff that is "magic",and as much as this is true for more involved such...not so this Eico. Basic and to the point. Two different tube rectifiers,the smaller one of them serving the CRT with a whopping 1470VDC! :derp:

So. That stock multisection jobbie there was about as dried up as they come. Cut it open and reused its base for install of a set of fresh ones. Used regular radials for this.

Simplicity if there ever was. OTOH..it performs its job. Period sorta.

Uhu. That sure worked. Fired right up after that replacement. Took to checking the piece out a bit...and what can i say? Entire procedure how to calibrate the thing i found in the manual too.

Sure enough! That there small green dot tells the story!

...and i´ll be damned if the thing doesn´t register signal as well.

However..machine was still full of old wax capacitors...and as i replaced them one by one only ONE of them was shot. Impressive... Anyways..replaced them all basically and checked resistor values for drift...most of it was on the money still.
Then installed a modern day n era socket for oscilloscope probes and...

...suspended it mid air via a wall mount that swiwels anywhere one wishes. Bolted an old tone generator to the bottom of the thing and presto..

I can now check any and all of my,and others,dear old tube amps with a just as tube driven oscilloscope :w00t:

NoiseNoiseNoise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Hertfordshire, England, Britain, UK, Europe, Earth, Outer Eastern Rim, Western Spiral Arm.

Re: Eico model 460

Post by NoiseNoiseNoise » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:10 am

That looks well tidy for a 60+ year old 'Scope. I had to re-read that voltage twice, by the way: ONE THOUSAND, FOUR HUNDRED AND SEVENTY!? Now, THAT is a Widowmaker!
This is a signature. If you're reading this you've gone past the end of my post.