tube amp

Make it loud here.
shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: tube amp

Post by shoule79 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:58 am

Probably the blues Jr.

Better eq control than the Vaporizer and not geared at gain heads like the Bugera. I say that with no experience with Bugera amps, so take that for what it's worth.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:24 pm

I'd look at the Fender Excelcior. Really nice sounding amp for clean playing at moderate volumes and very reasonable. Short lived model and only available used, but pretty recent.

I like my VHT Special 6 a lot (I have the head version), but it gets crunchy past 2 o'clock or so. Would probably be fine for a small jazz combo for cleans. I play fingerstyle on a few songs and it definitely breaks up at band volumes. Not a bad thing to me. YMMV.

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:14 pm

shoule79 wrote:Better eq control than the Vaporizer and not geared at gain heads like the Bugera. I say that with no experience with Bugera amps, so take that for what it's worth.
The Bugera is a Matchless clone. It's supposed to be brilliant, but I've never played or heard one in real life.
a total idiot jackass

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:35 pm

Early Bugera amps had some reliability issues though they do sound great. There's a ton of info about this online, do some poking around and you might find out the years to avoid.

Excelsior is a great suggestion, though count on having a good eq pedal to go with it as there's only so much of eq-ing you can do on the amp. Excelsior does not have an onboard reverb but a vibrato unit instead. 15 inch speaker and gets really loud. I let one of these go, and as much as I loved the tones I was getting with humbucker equipped guitars, single coiled Fenders sounded to me a bit thin and shrill. But that might be just me...

Blues Jr. is my home practice amp that I have had for the last six or seven years. I love it! Great reliability, easy to make work with any guitar I plug in it, and just a good base tone. I have the simplest black version and it's all stock. I have other higher amps (Mesa Boogie and a small '74 silverface) and the Bues Jr. measures up quite nicely with these two.