NAD stingray super

Make it loud here.
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NAD stingray super

Post by jorri » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:33 pm

Just picked up one of these, bargain!

I can't wait to try it out but its past midnight, gave a few shy chords for a couple of mins picking it up, but i'd driven quite a way.
Not much info around apart from it being somewhere in the SS H/H, yamaha, ampeg, roland kind of area, I'm at the point of just wanting something big and clean that i went for it.
Anyone tell me more? The Suzz channel looks intriguing. Its almost identical controls to the IC100 yet it seemed warmer. Someone also mentioned it can DOO)))M pretty well...

borntohang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NAD stingray super

Post by borntohang » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:44 am

Wow, blast from the past! About ten years back one of these heads was floating round the music scene I was playing in and I'm sure every band in town must have owned it at one point.

Bonuses, it was cheap and loud with a pedal in front; beyond that I can't really remember much to recommend it but my experience may have been tainted by it being run through a series of no-name and homebrew cabs with all kinds of junky speakers in, so don't take my word for it...Wouldn't surprise me if it was pretty good at doom because the loud-as-hell fuzzy SS distortion thing is right up its ballpark.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:11 am

Around that time many used some of the newer Carlsboro Stingrays, and they were hated as much as Marshall MGs or Ashdown bass cabs (which if aren't really should be) are now, but you tend to see them less at the moment.

My thoughts were this was in a different ballpark to other stingrays. But flat, clean, etc. is what i'm going for. These appear to be Celestions. Rebranded but almost identical to the IC100 rebranded celestions. Can't get an exact date but have seen 1977 thrown around.

I'm going to pair it with my AC30 and see what happens, (doing the Jonny Greenwood's amp thing although he uses a fender 85 SS) don't know if i'll ever get both to gigs though- its more likely THIS than the AC30. Not trying to replicate RH but I still love the ac30 clean and dirts, yet need heaviness and clarity for effects too. I often think the SSs and even bass amps (conversely that ashdown is a good GUITAR amp) i have run through are what i'm looking for. My band are now going to be fully solid state

this one, not my pic. Mine's got two footswitches with it...

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:08 am

Hm something is off on the reverb though. Very subtle, but on the break of feedback, yet when i touch any part of the amp itcauses a very audible spring sound...I wonder if it needs opening, or if the volumes of each channel need to be louder to feed the verb. They do seem to affect it but i can't dial in quite right.

Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Racing » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:49 am

Most likely needs service.
Let someone in the know check it out if you enjoy the amp. Silicone amps ain´t on their own...they need service too...

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:15 pm

Loose spring, i think that would be it hopefully. Also needs a power filter cap change as the seller said it recently blew a fuse (they are covered in electrolyte crystals) and some contact cleaner as always. All reasonably easy stuff to debug i think.