Apartment player need help

Make it loud here.
Vanderfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Apartment player need help

Post by Vanderfuzz » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:50 pm

Attenuators can be your friend. I have a Tone-King Ironman II that does wonders with my Swart AST. Does the amp sound better loud and unattenuated? Of course. But I use the shit out of that attenuator and live in a small apartment with thin walls. Princetons are fantastic. They sound incredible and paired with an attenuator, you'll be able to experience tube breakup without bothering your neighbors. Note: my Swart has a master volume. The trem and reverb did not translate well using the master volume. I'd have to crank either to get good response. With the Iron-Man, I can get full response from either effect at any volume.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:57 pm

Despot wrote: Right now Kosmonautmayhem is posting the same thing on here as I type this. Guaranteed!
A little late to the party, but agree 1000%. Princeton Reverb is great for apartments. I used for one years in apartments and out on small gigs. They're the perfect amp for me. Sound great at low volumes and can fill a small room (within reason) with the right speaker. I had a DRRI before I fell into my SFPR and it always left me wanting something more. The PR was the cure. Every guitar I have sounds great through that amp, it takes pedals well and still sounds rich when its low volume.
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

brucer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by brucer » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:27 pm

Larry Mal wrote:I've owned both, and probably a Princeton Reverb would be my favorite amp for any purpose at all. If you play live, just put a mic in front of it and run it into a PA. It's just a great amp, not only for practice and recording purposes.

The Deluxe is a great amp, though, and would work a little better in rehearsal situations but you say you aren't doing that.

A Champ is a great amp but you lose the reverb, which is kind of a deal breaker for me since I like Fender reverb so much.
^This is good advice. I'd add that the Princeton Reverb sounds great with OD and fuzz at lower volumes if you're after a little dirt. I also picked up a Swart nightlight to manage volumes after the family is in bed and haven't had a complaint about volume since. My playing on the other hand ...
Blank.

JustLo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JustLo » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:24 pm

Just got a 68 custom PR yesterday for bedroom use and it's great. The volume is very manageable up until about 3-3.5, then it starts getting LOUD! I would imagine a Custom Deluxe would be wayyyyy too loud for bedroom volumes.

jbiscuti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jbiscuti » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:05 pm

I lived in a small apartment in Queens for several years. '64 Princeton was pretty good, but surprisingly loud. Deluxe Reverb was a HUGE mistake and I sold it almost instantly - way too loud. I eventually settled on a Carr Raleigh - 3 watts, surprisingly good cleans, and can go tweed is pushed. Can be had for under $1k.

http://carramps.com/products/raleigh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyfanclub » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:00 pm

OK, I'll be "that guy"...

Roland Microcube!
- Has reverb, delay, and a rudimentary version of most well-known effects built in.
- Can be had for next to nothing on the used market, i.e. under $100. (Plenty of monies left over for takeout, tinder dates, or expensive guitars to plug into your silly-cheap amp.)
- HEADPHONE JACK, for all the reasons everyone else has already stated. Play whenever, bother no one.
- AUX IN, if you'd like to use it for learning songs, or if you're like me, for amplifying a iPhone-based drum machine app.
- Easy to tote up and down the stairs, or on mass transit if you're looking for something to use for jamming.
- Sounds pretty good for what it is. Sure, there's no EQ, and it's a 5" speakers, but it'll fill a small apartment nicely.
- Makeshift portable speaker if you put batteries in it.
- Basically indestructable, and if you do manage to kill it, you're not out a ton of cash.
- Cons? Looks terrible. Small speaker. Worthless in a band setting. No EQ. Limited blending of onboard effects.

OK - ready to buy?

paulitik
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by paulitik » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:00 pm

Princeton Reverb would be my vote. They kind of do everything well. I think they are great even at low volume.

I'd look at Blackface and Silverface Champs, Vibro-Champs, and Broncos from the 60s and 70s. I have a 67 Bronco (same as a Vibro-Champ) and its the perfect apartment amp. I had it in a one bedroom hardwood floor apt in DC, and never had a complaint from the neighbors or the wife. It can get loud, but at 3 or 4, it sounds great, and i can use ODs to get the breakup.
Great buying/selling experiences with therizzla, blake480, will.

JTurbide
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JTurbide » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:03 pm

garyfanclub wrote:OK, I'll be "that guy"...

Roland Microcube!
- Has reverb, delay, and a rudimentary version of most well-known effects built in.
- Can be had for next to nothing on the used market, i.e. under $100. (Plenty of monies left over for takeout, tinder dates, or expensive guitars to plug into your silly-cheap amp.)
- HEADPHONE JACK, for all the reasons everyone else has already stated. Play whenever, bother no one.
- AUX IN, if you'd like to use it for learning songs, or if you're like me, for amplifying a iPhone-based drum machine app.
- Easy to tote up and down the stairs, or on mass transit if you're looking for something to use for jamming.
- Sounds pretty good for what it is. Sure, there's no EQ, and it's a 5" speakers, but it'll fill a small apartment nicely.
- Makeshift portable speaker if you put batteries in it.
- Basically indestructable, and if you do manage to kill it, you're not out a ton of cash.
- Cons? Looks terrible. Small speaker. Worthless in a band setting. No EQ. Limited blending of onboard effects.

OK - ready to buy?
I already have a cube 10GX. ;)

Otherwise thanks for your opinions guys, I almost got a AC15TB (korg era) but the guy decided not to sell it a the last moment....

Nevets
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nevets » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:04 am

I live in a townhouse and have a princeton reverb in the living room. It sounds beautiful but never gets very loud. The THR5 on the living room side table gets a lot more use.

JTurbide
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JTurbide » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:42 pm

I went with a Fender '65 Fudge Brownie Deluxe Reverb :D
Yeah it's a little big the sound is amazing !!