Luxor 0W-25B

Make it loud here.
Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Luxor 0W-25B

Post by Racing » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:06 pm

This was just to sweet a deal to pass. A rather odd old Swedish made tube amp,or more to the point complete PA really.

In stock form quoted at a mere 20 watts,but..rest assured...we´re gonna surpass that with a friggin landslide this time out,too.

Not exactly your mainstream tube setup i´d say. Hoooooowever...it gets worse. It gets worse as this old thing carries an output transformer that simply isn´t to mix with modern day n era speakers. Sorry to say,but that´s the short end of it. No matter tho as OT´s i´ve got laying around to spare..
The 4654K tube in turn...can be made to deliver alright. Very alike the EL-34 really..

Mains enter the "hood" of this thing right. And see said hood needs to be "inserted" correctly as them pins there in the pic is how current reaches the amp. Talk about trying to F doing a handstand in a canoe going down rapid waters...

Right. As large as the powertransformer is..just as small is the OT. Wierd.

Innards. Now,as this thing hadn´t seen service since stonehenge i didn´t even try.. So out the ESR meter and what not came.

The Farad caps...the intro year for the 4654K´s...it all adds up,and i´d wager to say that this thing is either real late -40s or real early -50s.

Uhu. Them brown thingys indeed are speaker enclosures. As it turns out tho the speakers are of 4 Ohms a pop...which relates real bad with the minimum 137 Ohm out output transformer. The answer to that is right there...there´s conversion transformers for each speaker.

Amp is cathode bias stock right. What´s more it carries a setup that is...different. For those of you out there that are in the know,that there is a choke alright and back in the old days it was cheaper to produce a choke for ripple control then to add,very expensive,electrolytic capacitors.
So.
B+ out of the tube rectifier,that side of the choke,brings a ripple of approx 170VAC or so. The other side of the choke,which carries a smoothing cap of course-sees like 5VAC. B+ came all in at approx 410VDC.
So. What i did was to add a smoothing cap before the choke too and...DAAAMN!!! :derp: :derp: B+ voltage soared! Inxs of 600VDC for a brief moment until i flicked the mains again!
In short...we´re back to the old ways. A pulldown resistor to stabilize voltage before the powertubes start to digest what they need. So..installed a 10k/25w such and indeed.. B+ was now around the 500V mark. WAY more manageable.
As such i got to try the amp out and...nah. Didn´t sound all that hot TBH.

Now...please have in mind,bench work. ALL capacitors leaked you won´t believe!!! ALL of them,sans..the e-lytes :D . The old Swedish made Rifa e-lytes were still good to go. Friggin amazing.
Anyhow.
Tried to amp out again and...better. Way better.

OT tho needed to be replaced and i did so with an old Dynacord one for twin EL-34´s. They take about the same primary impedance as the 4654´s...
Said and done and HELLO! NOW we were getting some serious power from this unit!
For the win in short.

Drilled...tapped...and what not,and then cleaned the chassis out entirely. Paint...in the pic regular primer...

Right...

As cathode bias is out i fabbed a small board to cater to negative bias needs.

Here in turn the socket for the tube rectifier. Added "saver" diodes...and a pair of 150k resistors to feed the bias board..

...to be continued

Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Luxor 0W-25B

Post by Racing » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:27 pm

As i´m a stubborn old SOB...i of course failed to listen to friends that knows more about painting stuff then i do so..of course the first attempt went up in smoke. Hazed and what not...

To make matters worse i had to wipe the entire thing down with rags and washing acetone. Doh! Well,all well that ends well i guess.

No need for a centertap for the heaters..so i opted to drill through the bobbin side and wire the two heater wires through there. Now to be run for a pair of chassis mounted fuse holders.

Yep. 5V and HT for the rectifier done,as is the wiring for the bias board. HT centertap and main grounding done too..

Next up the various sockets.

Giving thought to how to set this one up. That Rodec 418 is to be a highgain setup...wonder if i shouldn´t let this thing become the same?

Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Racing » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:08 am

Starting to show what the net result will be.

Still a noval short,as far as the preamp,but you get the deal no matter. What´s more i even got to fab a shield/protector for the voltage selector so you don´t get zapped first thing with the hood off if you forgot to unhook the mains wire.

Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Racing » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:34 am

Who would have known? :derp:
Mainly for SnG i hooked these two up in series for a total of 8 Ohms today and put them up against that Rodec...and i´ll be damned! Not only did they sound it actually sounded quite decent! :derp:

Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Racing » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:05 am

About high time. That little solder support there is to install one of the drop resistors of the voltage rail.

I still need to look into suspending the EF-86 socket but on a general whole both the preamp and phaseinverter setup is done.

Aluminium tape is used as a "screen" for the heater wiring. Signal ground and so forth kept to itself.

Uhu. Gonna need a few more pots tho...

Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Racing » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:32 am

Right. So from a pure electric POW this one´s up and running again. Had to reset a few resistor values of the voltage rail,but that was about it.
In short right on the money that aside.

As you can see..even got to start laying signal wiring down. For the better,and i presume this one´ll roar it´s heart out the next few days or so.

Then. Need to adress the "hood". It´s simply full of dents,which of course can be handled,but atop that ugly beyond reason. Need to sit down with a pot of coffee i guess...