Opinions of Laney Amps

Make it loud here.
Remulak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Opinions of Laney Amps

Post by Remulak » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:33 am

Been told that the best buy in amps right now is this rebadged Laney from Monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=1 ... 1&format=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Been considering picking one up, but I really need to sell SOMETHING before I buy more gear. Oh yeah, I should also wait until my elbow heals so I can actually play.

balta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by balta » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:43 am

I have the CUB12R and it came with a faulty (and apparently useless) thermistor which was cut out of the circuit and has worked fine since then. Swapped the stock speaker for a louder Eminence CannabisRex and is my current workhorse for rehearsal and gigging. Pretty dark voiced amp, which is perfect to compliment with our rythm guitarrist playing a Tele through a Behringer solid state. I run it as clean as possible (which is not really clean, it doesn't know how to do clean-cleans at rehearsal volume) and put dirt and mod effects through the input. Sometimes I plug the guitar straight to cranked amp and oh-man, what a bliss. I like the amp.
Somos uno, somos hijos del Sol

Subgenius
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Subgenius » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:02 pm

Arthon wrote:I had a 5 watts Lionheart and it was a great amp. Made in England with quality parts. Near boutique quality. It was a cross between a Vox and a Fender, but with more gain available. Sold it because it was a big and heavy amp for a appartment. I think its the ideal house amp, but a little too big for appartment and not loud enough for a band.

+1 on the Lionhearts. Never knew they made a 5w though.

electric12
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by electric12 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:19 am

Larsongs wrote:I'm curious about the smaller 10-15 Watt Cub Amps mainly for Studio & Rehearsal. Anybody use them? How do they compare to Fender, Marshall & Vox?
I have a Cub 15 head which I have been using for band practices for the past six months or so, though I don't use it's matching 2 x 12 cab, rather a home-made one with a pair of Celestion V30s.

It sounds fantastic and delivers the goods although it is almost at the limit of it's output volume. We do play quite loud though. My main amp is a 70's Selmer T&B 50 which has an incredibly clean sound, which the Laney can't match at full tilt even with the Pre-amp gain backed right down; having said that, i do like the very slightly edgy sound of the Cub. It's apparently based on a Marshall JCM with two EL84 output valves, but I wouldn't have known by the sound I use which is sparkly and I thought rather Vox-ish; whatever it is, it really compliments my style and works well with my pedals. There is a little bit of noise when it's up full, but that is bearable, although perhaps cranking the pre-gain might exacerbate this.

I think it would do for a smallish venue to gig with, but would certainly need to be mic'd for regular sized ones. But I would certainly consider gigging with it.

All-in-all, as an amp that I got for mainly home/ recording use, I have been very impressed by it's performance within the band context, where it has to work quite hard - as a three-piece, I have to make quite a lot of noise! For the price I paid (250GBP for amp and matching cab) it is an absolute bargain, though I might question it's road-worthiness in the long term. But sound-wise, it is superb and as I say, holds it's own in band rehearsals.

Gswearengin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gswearengin » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:26 pm

Subgenius wrote:
Arthon wrote:I had a 5 watts Lionheart and it was a great amp. Made in England with quality parts. Near boutique quality. It was a cross between a Vox and a Fender, but with more gain available. Sold it because it was a big and heavy amp for a appartment. I think its the ideal house amp, but a little too big for appartment and not loud enough for a band.

+1 on the Lionhearts. Never knew they made a 5w though.
+2. Love my Lionheart L5t! Great sounding amp, pretty, very versatile, loves pedals, plays (relatively) well with neighbors. Not loud enough for a band situation, but it can still get loud as eff at home.