Any Kemper users on here?

Make it loud here.
Bothand Nether
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any Kemper users on here?

Post by Bothand Nether » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:46 pm

OffYourFace wrote:The only real issue i've seen with Kempers is overheating. While doing festival runs in Australia and South America, i saw many bands using Kempers and they kept shutting down due to the summer heat. They ended up with blocks of ice nearby with a fan blowing the cool air off the ice onto the kemper. I'd rather have an amp live.
I asked Mr. K about heat & He recommended 1U space between the Kemper and any external rackmount amps.

I never had any heat problems with the Toaster unit I got to borrow, maybe it's also due to the boards being mounted vertically?

I was on the fence about getting the Toaster or the Rack & Your post jogged My memory & helped settle that decision, thanx!

As far as a cheaper version of this unit, I wouldn't hold my breath.

The floor model is a great idea, I'll try to ask them this winter NAMM,
but they already make a custom pedal controller with a looper in it.
"No short-haired, yellow-bellied Son of tricky dicky's Gonna mother hubbard soft soap me"
-The late Mr. L.

Kent
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kent » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:22 am

Do keep in mind that the Kemper takes quite some time to boot. This can be dismaying in a live setting especially with the aforementioned (and news to me) heat exchange susceptibility..

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:39 am

Kent wrote:Do keep in mind that the Kemper takes quite some time to boot. This can be dismaying in a live setting especially with the aforementioned (and news to me) heat exchange susceptibility..
I wonder if people with heat issues are mounting it above a power amp? Especially a tube one...I can't imagine any digital gear doing well above a heat source like that. Never had an issue with mine, but I've never played an outdoor festival in the desert in July so I can't comment on extreme conditions.

I have a hard time imagining a 10 second boot-up being an issue for anyone. My tube amps took longer to warm up than that...
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Bothand Nether
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bothand Nether » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:37 pm

I had the pleasure of hanging out at Lavish Studios shortly before Mr. Weiland clocked out early,
& there was a red-themed Kemper toaster in the control room.

The metal enclosure had been painted a dark boston bean brick red & I think
the faceplate was one of those magnetic decal thingies, in reds & blacks.

I might cover my lid in cloth tweed & do the shellac & sand a lacquer finish to it.
Kinda iffy on the decal concept, but I think I read that the one guy gets them lazercut now.

It gets into the high 90's down do the low 'teens here & the one I'd borrowed had zero issues,
even with the tube preamp on top.
& I tend to accidentally leave things on sometimes, as well. :whistle:
"No short-haired, yellow-bellied Son of tricky dicky's Gonna mother hubbard soft soap me"
-The late Mr. L.

PaulDesmondTutu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PaulDesmondTutu » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:27 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
eggwheat wrote:Ugh...should be no prob in the UK though hah.. I'm interested in it for studio work..the possibility that I can profile my own sounds and 'recall' them. Or for things like re-amping with my own selection of profiles.
I think you'll like it for that but i'm gonna wait... For what it does and what it is, I think it's overpriced. I'm going to wait until someone makes the $300 version... you know it's coming eventually!
Heck yeah, for $300 I'm in too. Can you program or profile effects too? That would be pretty neat to save space.
"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…"

Bothand Nether
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bothand Nether » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:23 pm

Now that I have one that is actually mine, I've delved into the paramaters more.
Also liking amps that I'd ignored before,probably because I have a Jazzmaster now

The amp section allows me to set how sensitive my ham-handed fingerpicking is to the amount of distortion,
much like the variable impedance stuff on other units.

It's so nice dialing in breakup without the ear fatigue.

The cabs are much better than they were, I am looking forward to the 50 or so delays that are coming,
I'll try to hear them at NAMM this year.

I'm not going to ask Mr. K about an editor this year, as all I got last year was a rather terse "yes"
(it was sunday)

Here's a 2 year old clip of my previous setup, with a much better player than myself
demonstrating the range of breakup without the tube pre on top engaged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqX-P-9bBqU
-The late Mr. L.

Kent
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kent » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:42 am

mbene085 wrote:
Kent wrote:Do keep in mind that the Kemper takes quite some time to boot. This can be dismaying in a live setting especially with the aforementioned (and news to me) heat exchange susceptibility..
I wonder if people with heat issues are mounting it above a power amp? Especially a tube one...I can't imagine any digital gear doing well above a heat source like that. Never had an issue with mine, but I've never played an outdoor festival in the desert in July so I can't comment on extreme conditions.

I have a hard time imagining a 10 second boot-up being an issue for anyone. My tube amps took longer to warm up than that...

Tube amps are ready to go after a quick power cycling. Bringing tube amps into the discussion wasn't germane and was a bit of a sleight of hand tactic; perhaps unintentionally so.

My recollection is it taking anywhere from 30-40 seconds to boot at best. Here's a time-lapse (sped up) video of similar:
http://youtu.be/a2QeKf4bAZQ
A couple of power cycles and one is well past the minute mark.

gnoleb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gnoleb » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:18 pm

One thing to add here that might be helpful. Initially I just used the Kemper through headphones at home, and then later into a mixing board. It was pretty good, but when I finally hooked it up through a power amp (EHX Magnum 44) and through my Avatar 2x12 (with an Alnico Blue and G30H Anniversary), the sounds became just...fantastic. I mean, I've never played through the '65 AC30 that M. Britt did making his profiles for it...but I can't imagine getting a sound much better without spending thousands of dollars. Obviously not the best cab for authentic Fender-y amp style stuff (I'll remedy that in the future), but man does it sound fantastic.

I've hear of a lot of people putting the KPA direct into things and some being of more mixed opinion than others. Don't discount the effect of great speakers on tone. They really matter, and the KPA though my cab is actually the best sound I've every achieved.

tade
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tade » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:05 pm

Actually, I'd say that speaker simulation is the main factor nowadays regarding modelers.

gnoleb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gnoleb » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:43 pm

tade wrote:Actually, I'd say that speaker simulation is the main factor nowadays regarding modelers.
To a degree I would agree with you. But I think a big factor that modelers don't seem to get right is the dynamics; they don't capture subtlety nor volume knob adjustments well (imo). The Kemper seems to get those really well for my tastes. I don't think the AXE FX system does that well.

When I dig in and want some snarl, when I do some strong but short picking for some chime that bites up into breakup, when I'm using some palm to bring the overdrive to feel more "rounded"...only the Kemper seems to do this well. And now that I've got it going through my speaker cabinet, it does it even better.

tade
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tade » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:35 am

Well, dynamics (or "touch response" by others) was always the main factor, but I'd say it's getting there nowadays. The Axe was said to be better than the Kemper in this, but I won't be surprised if it's the other way around.
Probably the reason why modellers are very popular among modern metalheads is that they don't make much use of dynamics, it's pretty much an all or nothing type of thing.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:34 am

tade wrote:Well, dynamics (or "touch response" by others) was always the main factor, but I'd say it's getting there nowadays. The Axe was said to be better than the Kemper in this, but I won't be surprised if it's the other way around.
Probably the reason why modellers are very popular among modern metalheads is that they don't make much use of dynamics, it's pretty much an all or nothing type of thing.
Speaking as a former tube snob/vintage amp snob, my Kemper absolutely nails touch dynamics on low- and medium-gain profiles like no other digital piece of gear I have ever experienced. A far cry from the Line6 gear from years past that I tried, which failed to capture dynamics in any realistic way.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:39 am

gnoleb wrote:One thing to add here that might be helpful. Initially I just used the Kemper through headphones at home, and then later into a mixing board. It was pretty good, but when I finally hooked it up through a power amp (EHX Magnum 44) and through my Avatar 2x12 (with an Alnico Blue and G30H Anniversary), the sounds became just...fantastic. I mean, I've never played through the '65 AC30 that M. Britt did making his profiles for it...but I can't imagine getting a sound much better without spending thousands of dollars. Obviously not the best cab for authentic Fender-y amp style stuff (I'll remedy that in the future), but man does it sound fantastic.

I've hear of a lot of people putting the KPA direct into things and some being of more mixed opinion than others. Don't discount the effect of great speakers on tone. They really matter, and the KPA though my cab is actually the best sound I've every achieved.
This is a matter of getting the "amp-in-the-room" tone. Basically, the Kemper nails the sound of a mic'd amp - so when you send to FOH live or record with it, it sounds the way you're used to amps sounding.

Most guitarists are not used to practicing with a mic'd amp played back through a PA or in-ears - they're used to the way an amp sounds in the room with them, which is quite dramatically different. Disabling the speaker cab in the Kemper and running through a power amp and speaker like you did will re-create that familiar amp-in-the-room tone, and a lot of people enjoy using it that way.

The only trick is that patches tweaked for in-the-room tone don't translate to direct tones for FOH or recording, so for ease of translation between settings, many opt for FRFR solutions where they can rehearse with the same tone the FOH or mixing desk will hear - but it isn't the exact same experience as playing with an amp in the room.

For anyone who has owned a Twin, Hiwatt or Sunn, though, it can be a relief to no longer have to be in the same room as their amp ;)

1bottlerocket
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1bottlerocket » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:36 pm

I am late to this party but I wanted to chime in about my Kemper use. I played one in Japan for 3 years and loved it. I was skeptical going into it but ended up using it a lot in the end. I still don't fully understand how to set it up, I had a lot of help while I was there. I have to say it is an incredible product. I can see myself getting one in the future as I get older and sell off my traditional tube amps.

I had a friend help me profile a Landgraff 50 watt head and in the end I could not tell the difference between the Kemper and the Landgraff head. I also played a Christmas party gig with it and it was probably one of the most stress free situations I ever had. Having had first hand experience with them I can recommend them with confidence. If I did not have that sort of experience I would still be skeptical.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:39 am

i'm intrigued. i have some travel gigs coming up this summer, some flying involved... i haven't had to play without one of my favorite amps in recent memory, my gigs have been within driving distance of my studio. i have four or five favorite amps always at hand, and an endless cache on my shelves. i'm also good at capturing IR's and full room responses, sampling, etc.

how are users feeling these days? been a year and a half! i did play with one at this years NAMM and was intrigued by the general quality. hard to grok the clean vibes at namm, tho!

i'm a bit concerned about the potential heat issue - we're in New Orleans for a weekend run, end of July (!), as well as the Desert Daze festival, which you can imagine could be 90-100 degrees...

Plan A is to spec a Deluxe Reverb '65 RI for the fly gigs... but i do have a good couple months to get a Kemper up to speed. could be fun and inspiring.
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks