Fender 68 Reissue Amplifiers Stock Speakers = Bad

Make it loud here.
Fenderguy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender 68 Reissue Amplifiers Stock Speakers = Bad

Post by Fenderguy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:58 am

I`ve used the Princeton 68RI for over a year now, it sounds really good imo. Haven`t had the need to change out a single thing on it.

JCH519
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JCH519 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:23 am

@Arthon I'm near Toronto

Fenderguy wrote:I`ve used the Princeton 68RI for over a year now, it sounds really good imo. Haven`t had the need to change out a single thing on it.

I think it's safe to conclude the following when considering buying one of these 68 Custom Fender amps:

1) The stock speaker(s) is fine for what it is IF you play at low volumes. I thought my Vibrolux sounded pretty good at low volumes with the original speakers, but they were still nothing special.. A better speaker will still sound nicer.
2) If you are gigging you should upgrade the speaker(s) because when you push them they sound horrible! Some will say that you can just mic the amp through the PA at a gig, but a lot of shows I play/have played we only put the vocals through the PA and don't have the option to mic our amps.

After I got rid of the stock speakers in mine I have been extra happy with the amp. They are well made amps and look great. Just now it sounds as good as it looks, maybe better!

JCH519
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JCH519 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:04 am

Another few notes:

I saw a thread on here from last year complaining about hiss, the reverb crapping out, and tremolo noise.

I did not notice any unusual hiss on mine. But then I discovered that there was a tiny bit of hiss if channel 1's volume was on/turned up when nothing was plugged into it (I always plug into channel 2). Now sometimes there is no hiss at all when the volume for channel 1 is turned up while nothing is plugged in, so I don't know why that is. Either way it doesn't bother me and I haven't even noticed it recently.

The reverb on mine did make some strange sounds a couple of times right when the amp was turned on. I also noticed the reverb was a lot weaker/less deep than my Showman Reverb, which I thought was due to the way the Showman's reverb tank is suspended to the front baffle rather than sitting at the bottom of the cabinet. I swapped the tube for an old RCA and the reverb is sounding a lot better and deeper. Some people have said about flipping the tank around and it changed the sound, but I left mine as is.

I haven't experienced any unusual noise with the vibrato/tremolo. Sounds normal to me and it is quieter than any vintage Fender amps i've owned - they all made a ticking sound when you weren't playing. My 68 custom Vibrolux doesn't make the ticking sound, but you can hear that it's on when you are not playing, which is normal.

Fenderguy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fenderguy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:32 am

JCH519 wrote: 1) The stock speaker(s) is fine for what it is IF you play at low volumes. I thought my Vibrolux sounded pretty good at low volumes with the original speakers, but they were still nothing special.. A better speaker will still sound nicer.
2) If you are gigging you should upgrade the speaker(s) because when you push them they sound horrible! Some will say that you can just mic the amp through the PA at a gig, but a lot of shows I play/have played we only put the vocals through the PA and don't have the option to mic our amps.

After I got rid of the stock speakers in mine I have been extra happy with the amp. They are well made amps and look great. Just now it sounds as good as it looks, maybe better!
I`ve played lots of places with it, from small club gigs to outdoor festival gigs (stereo set-up with my Swart on the bigger scenes), I`m usually never above 6-ish in volume on the Princeton. Of course mic`ed through a PA. (only gigs I haven`t mic`d it are some small jazz gigs)
I know sound is highly subjective, but it doesn`t sound anywhere near horrible.

But, what speaker do you recommend checking out?

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:52 am

I just wanted to add I'm not rushing to change the speakers either..or just making do for now.. This amp for me in stock form sounds amazing..to the point I'd actually worry about changing anything in case the amp lost something I liked in the sound. I have a '65 Super Reverb too and it easily competes...for one thing I think reverb is better on this 68 vibrolux than the vintage amp....it's great. My concern was just if it starts farting and sounding horrible at gig volume..then I would look at switching in some Jensens or even some Eminence EM12....I've had some good experiences with them in Peterson amps.

A couple of things I don't like: the cheap, feeble feeling bright switches..moulded phono leads out into the reverb, moulded jack speaker lead out of the amp.

JCH519
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JCH519 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:59 am

@Fenderguy
Celestion Gold. What I put in mine.

You could say it's subjective as some people prefer inefficient speakers in the original vintage ones because the amp will break up sooner, but after you play a Fender with JBLs or one with similarly efficient speakers you will really hear the amp sing and there's no turning back! For a little while I was putting the Vibrolux into my 2x15 Showman cabinet with JBL D130F speakers and couldn't believe the difference.

I personally believe you haven't truly heard this new line of Fender amps until you swap the speaker(s). I know there is 'good enough', but for the cost of these amps to begin with you might as well get the most out of it.. You don't need to go all out, but even something slightly more efficient should show you the potential of these amps.

JCH519
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JCH519 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:03 am

eggwheat wrote:A couple of things I don't like: the cheap, feeble feeling bright switches..moulded phono leads out into the reverb, moulded jack speaker lead out of the amp.
I don't notice much of a difference with the bright switches compared to my vintage Fenders.
I was thinking of replacing the phono cords to the reverb tank at some point..
The speaker cable/jack hasn't really bugged me but yes the quality of the jack isn't amazing. It's plastic but not out of the ordinary for a new amp.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:19 pm

For the 68 RI amps with 10" speakers, I suggest this one if you want classic fender cleans that work well with pedals:

http://jupitercondenser.com/product/10l ... r-speaker/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:26 pm

JCH519 wrote:
I haven't experienced any unusual noise with the vibrato/tremolo. Sounds normal to me and it is quieter than any vintage Fender amps i've owned - they all made a ticking sound when you weren't playing. My 68 custom Vibrolux doesn't make the ticking sound, but you can hear that it's on when you are not playing, which is normal.

I wonder if these people bothered to try different tubes to see if the problem went away.... ?
The '68 RI Princeton is a little noisy because it doesn't have negative feedback, or it's been lowered a lot less than stock to make it break up faster.

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:02 am

I just bought a set of Weber 10F150T for my Vibrolux.I though about Celestion Gold, but after speaking with my amp tech and some other gearhead, I realised that they dont have the sound I am after.
So I have Weber 10F150T (not arrived yet), Celestion g10n-40, Celestions greenback 10, Celestion Ten 30, Eminence Cajun and Eminence Cooperhead to test for this amp.
Will give you news after some tests (and some beer).
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

JCH519
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JCH519 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:23 pm

Cool! Keep us posted.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:29 pm

You'll dig the 10f150T, most likely. I have a 50 watt 10f150t and a 30 watt 10a125in my old Vibrolux. I rarely use that amp, but it does sound good. HEAVY, but good.

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:37 am

StevenO wrote:You'll dig the 10f150T, most likely. I have a 50 watt 10f150t and a 30 watt 10a125in my old Vibrolux. I rarely use that amp, but it does sound good. HEAVY, but good.
The Custom Vibrolux '68 is the perfect weight and size with the stock speakers. I know the 10f150t will add some weight, but it can be heavier then the Ragin Cajun. Why someone cannot make good sounding lightweight clean efficient low-cost speakers ? ;)
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

JCH519
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JCH519 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:46 pm

Anymore findings in replacement speakers?

My Celestion Golds have broken-in nicely and the amp is sounding pretty great.

A little while ago I decided to lower the neck pickup on both my Jaguars and the volume dropped quite noticeably. I would have usually used the amp with the volume at around 4-5 and I was worried the Golds might break up more in my band since I had to up the amp volume to 6-7! It's still sounding pretty clean!! Pretty amazing considering the stock speakers would crazy distort/fart out when the volume was at 4-5 on the dial. And I even leave my tubescreamer on all the time (overdrive knob set at the lowest it can go).
I'm so glad I stuck with this Vibrolux Reverb. It was so frustrating in the beginning, but now it sings.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:30 pm

As I have said before.... and will say again.... the Webers are awesome speakers ... truly awesome... but they must be "run in" ...
I just used FM radio at a medium volume (via the headphone jack) while I was at work for a bout 5 or 6 days....
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...