Valves/tubes etc ... what do you use and like?

Make it loud here.
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Valves/tubes etc ... what do you use and like?

Post by jorri » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:16 pm

I see, its a Custom CLassic...so not so true to form as i've seen from the circuit.

I may have modded it 'less ac30', as i kept on going. The other day a connector came lose but before i found that to be the cause, i only had 5751 spare, so tried that in v2 for less 'top' from the top boost..

So its not a suggestion for everybody really. I want the organic ac30 sound, but i play noisy heavy music with lots of pedals. I probably would have chosen another amp if starting again but i've found the unique way around it...

Might try an 12AY7 or 5751 on v1, not sure yet. I'm debating whether actual headroom is created and whether i could use a boost pedal to get some of the higher gain tones which only happens when recording or jamming without pedals. I like using master volume on full and only changing the preamp volume at the moment so it would give more control.

What's the deal with that? many techs say more headroom is created but i believe its misuse of the term. Or smart-alec laymen debunk it whilst missing something such as: if the preamp is clipping less whilst giving the same output, it would shift distortion production over to power tubes and in theory clean it up a bit.