Bassmans with presence knob

Make it loud here.
dug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bassmans with presence knob

Post by dug » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:38 am

I saw one like that on the nashville craigslist last year. It sold for a butt ton.

therizzla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by therizzla » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:28 am

tribi9 wrote:Image
Pure win. :?
reverb.

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:12 am

Yup, that would be a blackface white knob 6G6-B Bassman. A few years ago, all 6G6 variations regularly went for stupid cheap, like under $600 for a head, but people eventually caught on, likely due to Brain Setzer's use of them. For some reason, the BFWK versions went for even less than the blonde ones, but that's changed now too. I'd say that as long as the OT is correct, and nothing horrific has been done to the circuit, $700 is an amazing deal.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:37 am

get get get get get

secndshft

Post by secndshft » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:54 am

øøøøøøø wrote:get get get get get
NOW NOW NOW

Professor Plum
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Professor Plum » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:32 am

so not to totally hijack the thread, BUT its related kinda. some guy on craigslist wants to trade me straight across my blondie tremolux head for his blonde bassman head like this. (well like this in thats its got a presence knob, but its blond/wheat) would you do it, granted i went to go see it and everything looked kosher?
make feedback, not war. pick it up! pick it up! up, up!

secndshft

Post by secndshft » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:35 am

If you like it the answer is always yes. If it's a value thing, I don't know where those two rank.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:54 am

hiphophippo wrote:Hello Everyone, i just ran across what appears to be a 1960's Fender bassman on my local craigslist. It has blackface cosmetics but also includes a presence knobs. It looks to be in pretty good condition and the owner said he recently retubed it with sovteks. Does any one know what year bassman this is might be? He's asking $700 for head and cab, should i hit this? My other options a 68 silver edge Super reverb. what would you do!?
The bassman seems to be a buy it no matter what option.

What about the super reverb? I have a 68 and ADORE it. Might be worth picking up if you can swing both, esp. if from the same seller (if also undervalued)

Professor Plum
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Professor Plum » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:00 am

secndshft wrote:If you like it the answer is always yes. If it's a value thing, I don't know where those two rank.
i dunno i love my tremolux, and its amazeing swirling sounds, and its perfect "clean but a little raunchy" volume sweet spot but the bassman seems rad and has a little more headroom for epic fuzz action. i have never played a blonde bassman.

that said, i think either one of them would get sold eventually to cover getting a 5g9 tremolux built. if i didnt always have that in the back of my head, i would just say screw it and keep the blonde tremolux forever but at this point it seems like it would be fun to try something different along the path to 5g9 bliss.

maybe im just crazy and outdated tube amplifiers are my tragic flaw
:mellow:

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:24 am

Value-wise, a blonde Tremolux and Bassman are pretty close. The edge might go to the Bassman because of Setzer. If you're really going to eventually sell whichever to fund building another amp, then I'd say go for it.

secndshft

Post by secndshft » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:25 am

Professor Plum wrote:
secndshft wrote:If you like it the answer is always yes. If it's a value thing, I don't know where those two rank.
i dunno i love my tremolux, and its amazeing swirling sounds, and its perfect "clean but a little raunchy" volume sweet spot but the bassman seems rad and has a little more headroom for epic fuzz action. i have never played a blonde bassman.

that said, i think either one of them would get sold eventually to cover getting a 5g9 tremolux built. if i didnt always have that in the back of my head, i would just say screw it and keep the blonde tremolux forever but at this point it seems like it would be fun to try something different along the path to 5g9 bliss.

maybe im just crazy and outdated tube amplifiers are my tragic flaw
As much as I love my tweed, the brown Vibrolux that I had a while back was the best sounding amp I've ever owned. The tweed is close, but the brownie was better. And, the brownie had a replaced transformer as well. You and I both own the equivalent of that brown Vibrolux. I think I'd stick with what you have. That being said, I can't part with my tweed Tremolux. It's a permanent fixture in the stable. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so attached to a ugly old box.

Professor Plum
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Professor Plum » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:40 pm

i know right? 35w of blonde is really the perfect sweet spot for volume/clarity/wonderful slight crunch. what circuit is your tweed 'lux?

i think im gunna hang on to it for now. i have almost flogged this thing a bunch of times, and always let out a sigh of relief when i realize i still have it. :blush:
if the trade was directly for what i want (or at least think i want) then i would do it but i should really just stick with what works and in the wise words of frank zappa "shut up and play yer (my) guitar"...

p.s. to the thread starter, sorry to hijack, and i hope the next post in this thread is filled with pics you took of the bassman in your living room and you telling us how rad it is... :)

hiphophippo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Bassmans with presence knob UPDATE!

Post by hiphophippo » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:14 pm

So i went up to Georges Music today to check it out and i am now a proud owner of a 1964 Fender Blackface Bassman!! Its all original except he replaced the tubes with Sovteks and the knobs where changed from the original blonde knobs to some cheap black boss lookin knobs. It sounds amazing! so clean crisp and clear and it breaks up nicely! Its basically everything i wanted in a recording amp plus i can use a bass through it if i want! The tolex is a little beart up so i might get that redone and change the knobs back to the original ones but this thing sounds beastly with my thin skin Jazzy!! def a steal for 700 to think i was looking to get a silver face super reverb for 800 ;D

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:28 pm

excellent work.

That's the steal of the week, for sure. You could've paid twice as much and nobody would've batted an eye.

Honestly, 800 for a drip edge Super Reverb is a pretty good bargain as well. Too bad you couldn't swing both of 'em! You could've flipped the Super if you wanted and made out like a bandit on the whole deal!

secndshft

Post by secndshft » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:34 pm

I want good images. Get some white knobs and take pix.