Anyone change the pre-amp tube in a Champion 600 re-issue?

Make it loud here.
fostewi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Anyone change the pre-amp tube in a Champion 600 re-issue?

Post by fostewi » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:05 am

Hi, I just replaced the speaker in my Champion 600 with a weber sig6 ceramic and also ordered some new pre-amp tubes to try (JJ and EH) to replace the chinese tube (my power tube is EH so I am leaving it for now). However, I can not get the pre-amp tube out of the tube socket! I have read about issues with epoxy making it difficult to remove the tube shield but mine came off easy...but I just can not get the tube out of the socket. Anyone else experienced this or have any tips? I have wiggled at it for hours and it's not budging and I do not want to damage the socket but I really want to try new tubes. Thanks.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone change the pre-amp tube in a Champion 600 re-issue?

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:44 am

that's a weird one.

Just keep rocking it around in a circular motion.

What this probably means is that your contacts are nice and tight, which is a good thing.

fostewi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fostewi » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:25 pm

øøøøøøø wrote: that's a weird one.

Just keep rocking it around in a circular motion.

What this probably means is that your contacts are nice and tight, which is a good thing.
Thanks, keep trying but it just won't budge. I am wondering if I should try removing the metal enclosure that surounds the base of the tube? Could this help me get it out? Could removing this damage anything? Thanks.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:52 pm

that part is a part of the tube socket, unfortunately. 

I don't know what to tell you.  Do you have any electronics contact cleaner?

Perhaps try spraying some near the base of the tube all the way around.  This might remove any oxidation and help the tube come out better.

fostewi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fostewi » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:04 pm

Thanks for the tip...I have some stuff called "Electro Lube" that says it is for cleaning and protecting electronic and electrical components (with silicon)....that should be ok? Should I be concerned about putting too much or damaging anything?

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:56 pm

fostewi wrote: Thanks for the tip...I have some stuff called "Electro Lube" that says it is for cleaning and protecting electronic and electrical components (with silicon)....that should be ok? Should I be concerned about putting too much or damaging anything?
In this case, I think it should be okay.  Normally I don't like to use that stuff on tube sockets because the silicon might cause a film that could impede contact.  Just a superstition of mine.  But I think it would be fine.

fostewi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fostewi » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:09 pm

"Amp Ninja Gaiden", thanks for all your help. Not sure if it was the spray or what but a few hours later after dinner I tried yet once again and it finally popped out. Played for a bit with the new tube but now I would like to compare the tubes I have to see if I have a preference (to be honest, I probably wont be able to tell the differences!). I am assuming it should come out ok now....how long should you wait after playing it before swapping a tube? Is it just a matter of letting it cool to the touch or should you wait a while? Thanks.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:23 pm

fostewi wrote: "Amp Ninja Gaiden", thanks for all your help. Not sure if it was the spray or what but a few hours later after dinner I tried yet once again and it finally popped out. Played for a bit with the new tube but now I would like to compare the tubes I have to see if I have a preference (to be honest, I probably wont be able to tell the differences!). I am assuming it should come out ok now....how long should you wait after playing it before swapping a tube? Is it just a matter of letting it cool to the touch or should you wait a while? Thanks.
As soon as you can grab onto it it's fine to yank it out.  I've even done 'hot swaps' before, where I yank a tube out of a running amp and throw the new one in.  But this is kind of a 'level 2' move.

Preamp tubes don't really get as hot as power tubes... still hot enough to hurt, but not AS hot.  So a minute after you power down it should be fine.