amps, cabinets, and ohms - noob questions

Make it loud here.
bighonky
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

amps, cabinets, and ohms - noob questions

Post by bighonky » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:22 am

hey folks,
I'm thinking about getting a Swart with my tax refund check, but I'm wondering if I'll be able to use it in a club setting without it being mic'ed.

The Atomic Space Tone is 20 watts with a 12' speaker and with the Pro Panel upgrade has an 8 ohm line out for a cabinet.

The Space Tone Reverb-Tweed is 5 watts with a 12" speaker and a line out for 4 or 8 ohms.

Could either of these power an 8 ohm 2x12 cab with good speakers and would it be loud enough to be heard over drums, etc.?

I don't need a cab right away, but I'd like to have the option down the road. I've seen pics on Swart's site of Dean Wareham and Jeff Tweety using the AST in their live set-ups,
but couldn't tell if they were mic'd or connected to cabinets.
Thanks  :D
Where you come from is gone. Where you thought you were going to weren't never there. And where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

bighonky
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: amps, cabinets, and ohms - noob questions

Post by bighonky » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:36 am

I think the line-out disables the built-in speaker, but I'm not sure. I just shot an e-mail to Swart asking that question.
Where you come from is gone. Where you thought you were going to weren't never there. And where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

nsnyder6
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nsnyder6 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:02 am

My other guitarist plays through a 5 watt blackheart head and a 1x12 cab and keeps up with a drummer on 4 or 5.  You would be good and a 2x12 cab would be good for medium sized venues.
Watashi wa ichigo desu. (I am a strawberry.)

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:06 am

I want to elaborate on something I said earlier.

The output power rating of an amp is a measure of the amount of current times voltage the amp puts out through the speaker jack.

If you have a huge amount of speaker mass, a really low-powered amp might struggle to actually make the speakers move.  As a result you might get a somewhat anemic sound.  I've never tried 5w through 2x12 or 3x12.  I suspect with a 2x12 it would bounce them around just fine.  3x12 who knows.  I bet Swart would know, though.  Maybe better to ask him!  :)

CS
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CS » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:40 pm

From the Swart website...

Introducing the Space Tone Reverb, a circuit based on the little 5W, Class A, single-ended 6V6'R that started it all but with added 60s vibe, the biggest reverb YET, all feeding into a 12" Mojo BV-30H speaker with Big Daddy Iron.

I say this has the best Super Fuzz full volume breakup of them all and with that Swart tone everyone has come to love, all housed in the throwback finger jointed pine cabinet covered in retro Tolex. It's totally unique in today's market place.

The ST-R really has it's own sound, apart from the other Space Tones, but still has it's heart from the little 6V6SE. But unlike the 6V6se, this beast can take a big tall EL-34 if you so desire. The over-spec'd Heyboer iron can handle it. And forget any biasing headache; the ST-R is cathode "auto" biased, just like every Swart. So it's no meters and headaches - Just plug the 6V6, 6L6, or EL-34 in, let her warm-up, and you're a flick of the standby away from great tone.

End quote...

The amp has a 6V6 as stock but will take 6L6 or EL34. With these tubes the amp is around 8-10watts. The speaker is based on a 30H so it should be 100db efficient which is quite loud.

I gig with a 10w single ended 1x12 combo and it's loud enough for medium sized gigs. What it aint is clean.

bighonky
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bighonky » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:49 pm

I got a reply from Kelly at Swart:

Hi Brandon, thanks for the interest in Swart!  I dont think you'll be disappointed with any choice.

On all the amps, even if you get the optional out panel, the internal speaker is switched out of the equation making your external cabinet the sole speaker(s) when either connected or switched (on amps with the back panel mod, you can switch between internal/external while playing, too). 

Any of the amps will do clubs fine if running with a mic.  I think the STR-Tweed could power a 2x12 fine and sound pretty good.  On the club use, it would really depend on how big the club was.  I think it would be doable depending on that parameters.

both of the amps would be pushing it a bit without mic ability.  But with a mic, you could really do anything.  Have fun trying them out at Ludlow.  Give them a call to make sure they have stock, too.  Let us know how it goes.

- kh

kelly holsten

Okay, looks like my questions have been answered. I gotta gets me some Swart, now!  :D