Re: Your best & worst boutique amps.....

Make it loud here.
nsnyder6
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nsnyder6 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:16 pm

Ampeg still makes the Jet 20 that is all point to point and uber simple.  20 watts, 12" speaker, volume, tone, tremelo.  Simple and easy.

I have used my Clubster 45 (45 watt AB) next to my guitarist Blackheart (5 watt A)  and I was on 3 and he was on 4 and he was louder than me...I think that class A amps are louder.  But hey I don't know the science behind it, but he was cutting me out of the mix till I turned up to 5 and blew him away.
Watashi wa ichigo desu. (I am a strawberry.)

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:25 pm

what speaker cabs were each of you using, and what speakers were they loaded with?

That makes WAY WAY more difference than class of amplifier operation ever could.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:31 pm

øøøøøøø wrote: what speaker cabs were each of you using, and what speakers were they loaded with?

That makes WAY WAY more difference than class of amplifier operation ever could.
I'm curious about this.

The head I'm getting is approx 700mm wide so I'm getting a cab built thats a little wider than this, just so it sits nicely on top.

The cab size is enough for two 12" speakers but I'm just going for one. What difference will the extra space inside make to the sound? Less punchy? More wide boominess? (what ever that means!?!)
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:11 pm

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
øøøøøøø wrote: what speaker cabs were each of you using, and what speakers were they loaded with?

I'm curious about this.

The head I'm getting is approx 700mm wide so I'm getting a cab built thats a little wider than this, just so it sits nicely on top.

The cab size is enough for two 12" speakers but I'm just going for one. What difference will the extra space inside make to the sound? Less punchy? More wide boominess? (what ever that means!?!)
The bigger cab is, in most peoples' opinions, better.  Guitar cabs are an inexact science, at best.  There is no 'tuning' of the enclosure.

They just make a big ol' box and stick a speaker in it.

Is it a sealed enclosure or an open-back design?  That makes a difference on what effect the larger enclosure will have.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:22 pm

øøøøøøø wrote: .....Is it a sealed enclosure or an open-back design?  That makes a difference on what effect the larger enclosure will have.
I'll be finding that out next week when I visit their workshop.

I think it's an open-backed design.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

pj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pj » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:00 am

The only experience I have had w/ boutique or semi-boutique is my THD Univalve and I have only positive things to say about it. They are definitely worth looking into if you want a small wattage amp that is versatile for recording. They also can be found for relatively cheap on Ebay . They are fantastic amps. I have had mine for over 7 years now and still really dig it. Like my tele, it is gear that I would not get rid of.

=-) PJ