Anyone else in to Rivera era Fenders?

Make it loud here.
redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone else in to Rivera era Fenders?

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:25 am

Word is from other forums that the Bassman 20’s guts are like the Super Champ without the gain channel. I don’t know if that is true or not. I think it behaves a lot like non-reverb Princetons. My rig is clean with single coils all the way up the dial. I’ve read others complain about the EQ voicing but I find it is easy to dial in for what I like. It is not super sparkly though unless you turn it up. I suppose all the classic black/silver face Fenders I’ve owned were like that though.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:11 pm

I used to own a non reverb Princeton and I can see some similarity...but with that 15" speaker, the Bassman 20 was pretty muddy. The Non Reverb Princeton was much more versatile.

I wouldn't call the stock amp versatile by any stretch. Perhaps they should've made it a head from the get go

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:49 pm

I really like the Red Knob "The Twin" my wife used to play on stage. I did however not like the fact that I had to carry the damn thing for her and now that she and I both play very light Vaporizer amps that sound great, my backpain suddenly disappeared ;)
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:42 am

I've had my Deluxe Reverb II since 1983 and it's become my default idea of "guitar amp."

Everything sounds good through its clean channel, which has reverb and a presence control. I've got the original speaker and after thirty-five years, it's turned into one righteous speaker. For instance, pull the bright switch on it and it becomes the perfect Rickenbacker amp. Turn down the treble and add humbuckers or a Tele neck pickup and it's a Jazz monster. Turn the treble back up, tweak the presence and it's a twang machine.

Put a good trem pedal in front of it and you've got it made.

It absolutely loves pedal of all kinds. You'd never have to touch the second channel, if you didn't want to.

But....

I even like the distortion channel. It was Robert Quine's favorite amp distortion, too. Slam it with a heavily over driven DMM and it is AMAZING.

DR II, April 10, 2011 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Scooter Sound Studio, September, 2010 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Oh, and it is utterly indestructible. 50 lbs. of indestructible.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.